Total run time: 52 minutes 25 seconds.
Ways to listen to the show…
- Subscribe using iTunes here.
- Download the individual episode by right clicking this link and clicking “save link as”.
- You can also add the RSS feed to your podcast app of choice with the non-iTunes link you can find here.
- Stream the episode on Stitcher
Got a problem? Email me and I’ll try and solve it.
About Izsi Lawrence…
Iszi is a stand up comedian, podcaster and Fringe poster designer. In this episode I interviewed her on everything from self-promotion to marketing materials at different festivals. If you want to hear a podcast all about “branding” as a performer you can do so in episode 8 [Podcast here].
On of my biggest “take aways” from it was –
“Always use your face in your adverts because people are essentially monkeys and always looking for faces in everything. So it gives people something to connect with.” – Izsi Lawrence
Here are a list of the questions we covered…
Edinburgh Fringe Poster / Flyer / marketing material design…
- What have you done in the past? And what is your background? [4 mins 23 secs]
- James Randi – TAM
- Matt Dwyer / Matt Price
- Stephen Carlin / Norman Lovett
- At what point the the development of a show should someone start looking into approaching a designer for promotional materials? [6 mins 51 secs]
- What is the value of the program thumbnail image? What should we put in it? [8 mins 05 secs]
- Do you offer professional photography services? [9 mins 53 secs]
- Thoughts on different photographers style [11 mins 45 secs]
- What services do you offer for poster / flyer design? [12 mins 25 secs]
- Can you ever have too many quotes / stars on a poster? [13 mins 28 secs]
- What’s the biggest fault with logo design? [16 mins 25 secs]
- Should we come to you with an idea or just a concept or nothing? [19 mins 30 sec]
- How do you calculate your rate for poster / flyer design?[19 mins 55 secs]
- What projects do you like working on most? [20 mins 33 secs]
- Do you need to come and see the show to get a feel for it? [25 mins 40 secs]
- Matt Price: The Maryhill Dinosaur
- How much does the poster design get impacted by the type of show? [28 mins 30 secs]
- Some really good advice on what you should get in terms of headshots. [30 mins 30 secs]
- Should a picture of you be in the poster? [32 mins 15 secs]
- When you design a poster / take a photo, do you own the copyright on it? [35 mins 15secs]
- What tricks / hints you know that help catch peoples eye / make them more memorable in posters? [38 mins 01 secs]
- If you could give 1 bit of advice to a performer who is starting to look into designing some marketing materials for a show, what would it be? [43 mins 11 secs]
- Who are your favourite artists?
- Edward Burra
Loving the show? Then consider giving us a donation to keep it going!
If you liked this you might also like…
- List of Edinburgh Fringe marketing material designer interviews
- EP 08 – Iszi Lawrence talks more on Branding as a comedian
- EP 09 – Idil Sukan – designer, photogapher and art director talks about her methods of creating amazing Edinburgh Fringe marketing materials for performers.
|EP 06 – Bruce Dessau – reviewer at the London Evening Standard & Founder of BeyondTheJoke.co.uk|