Total run time: 1 hour 32 minutes 02 seconds.
Ways to listen to the show…
- Subscribe using iTunes here.
- Download the individual episode by right clicking this link and clicking “save link as”.
- You can also get the episode in two smaller parts via iTunes or by downloading part 1 here (43 mins) and part 2 here (52 mins)
- You can also add the RSS feed to your podcast app of choice with the non-iTunes link you can find here.
- Stream the episode on Stitcher
Got a problem? Email me and I’ll try and solve it. 🙂
About The Idil Sukan…
Idil Sukan is a art director and photographer who has been involved in 100s of shoots for performers ranging from household names to newbies. She runs the agency DrawHQ and is known for her unique style of building marketing materials around the on-stage persona of the act in question.
Here are a list of the questions we covered…
Posters / Flyers / Marketing Materials for shows…
- Her thoughts on using marketing principles vs your comedic persona in your flyer / poster. [4 mins 7 secs]
- Thoughts on the lack of imagination and faith (from producers) in marketing materials and DVD design. [9 mins 53 secs]
- Using your creative origins in marketing marketing materials [12 mins 34 secs]
- Thinking of the “big picture” of everything you do when you make a poster. [14 mins 23 secs]
- Why you need to develop your identity before doing any PR or press. [16 mins 45 secs]
- Why giving your designer time is essential.[17 mins 45 secs]
- Are the unrealistic poses images / headshots just vanity or something else?[18 mins 16 secs]
- Should the designer and the photographer be the same person? Or is it better to have a team? [23 mins 16 secs]
- How would you describe what you do? [23 mins 58 secs]
- How is the poster is a chance to add to the show? [26 mins 17 secs]
- People have an opinion of you without ever having seen you or your show. [30 mins 37 secs]
- Thinking of posters / marketing materials from the audience perspective. [31 mins 26 secs]
- How do your fees work? And what do you get for your money? [32 mins 7 secs]
- Do you go and watch a preview / show to get a feel for the production? Is this needed? [33 mins 41 secs]
- Do you have any success stories / really good examples of your work that you’re proud of?[34 mins 52 secs]
- Is the program worth it? Where should you start with your marketing materials for the Fringe? [35 mins 04 secs]
- Making a commitment with yourself as a performer through adverts. [37 mins 37 secs]
- What should your Edinburgh budget go on? [38 mins 57 secs]
- How the picture desk editors operate and design their magazine during the festival. [39 mins 37 secs]
- Is Edinburgh a trade show? [40 mins 42 secs]
- Are we asking the wrong questions by wondering what is making an eye catching poster? [41 mins 55 secs]
- Why should we care about our posters / marketing materials? [41 mins 55 secs]
- Why you should design your poster at a group of people and with the aim of keeping people you don’t want out. [45 mins 46 secs]
- What makes a good photographer? [50 mins 7 secs]
- Are there shows / people you prefer to work on? [52 mins 33 secs]
- Why you should put your energy into the “hard stuff” and not waste your drive on things which won’t help your show stand out. [54 mins 7 secs]
- So how much psychology goes into poster design when you do it? [1 hour 0 mins 53 secs]
- Isn’t comedy a meritocracy? Shouldn’t the show being funny be good enough to get people in? [1 hour 0 mins 53 secs]
- Don’t you just need a pretty image on the poster and a good show? [1 hour 7 mins 17 secs]
- What makes a rubbish poster? Can you define it? Are there trends? [1 hour 9 mins 42 sec]
- Why does it take so long to “get good” at anything in art? [1 hour 10 mins 17 secs]
- Is there a good time in a persons career it’s worth coming to you? [1 hour 12 mins 11 secs]
- What does the investment in good posters / photos say to industry? [1 hour 12 mins 11 secs]
- What PR services do you offer? Do you support performers beyond Edinburgh? [1 hour 15 mins 47 secs]
- What are your thoughts on PR? [1 hour 17 mins 11 secs]
- Why you (as a performer) should think of the business side of their career and stop comparing themselves. [1 hour 18 mins 05 secs]
- How realistic should your goals be from Edinburgh? How do you help with this? [1 hour 23 mins 24 secs]
Loving the show? Then consider giving us a donation to keep it going!
If you liked this you might also like…
- A list of designers who have been interviewed on the podcast.
- Iszi Lawrence’s interview on the podcast about Fringe show poster / flyer design.
|EP08 – Iszi Lawrence on bran– comedian, podcaster & Edinburgh poster designer.|