Total run time: 1 hour 28 mins 57 secs.
Ways to listen to the show…
- Subscribe using iTunes here.
- Download the individual episode by right clicking this link and clicking “save link as”.
- You can also add the RSS feed to your podcast app of choice with the non-iTunes link you can find here.
- Stream the episode on Stitcher
- Or you can watch / stream it on YouTube here.
Got a problem? Email me and I’ll try and solve it. 🙂
About Toby Hadoke…
Toby Hadoke is a Comedian, Actor and Writer who quite likes Doctor Who. He founded the long running Manchester based club XS Malarkey and books the Manchester Comedy Stores new material night as well as being a regular MC at the 99 Club. We talked about building an audience, podcasting and what the Manchester scene has that the London scene doesn’t…
If you enjoyed this you might also like…
Loving the show? Then consider giving us a donation to keep it going!
Here’s a list of questions we covered…
- Why did you start a night? [0 mins]
- What was the scene like when you started it vs now?
- Why did you make it not for profit? [3 mins 40 secs]
- Could you start XS now? Or has the circuit changed too much? [5 mins 08 secs]
- What’s it like working in Manchester vs London as a jobbing comic? [11 mins 02 secs]
- What’s it like at his end of getting an email about performing at XS or the Comedy Store? [34 mins 25 secs]
- How does he tell people they’re not right for XS? [35 mins 25 secs]
- How does he ensure the line ups at his clubs are diverse? [41 mins 40 secs]
The Comedy Store…
- What’s his relationship with the Store? [18 mins 40 secs]
- How did it come about. [18 mins 40 secs]
- How the Comedy Store ladder of progression is set up. [22 mins 35 secs]
- Being seen as a promoter vs comedian? [22 mins 59 secs]
- Trading places for spots, is that harder / impossible?
- Why is the Manchester store a lot more relaxed than the London one, is that that a reflection of the city / scene?
- Is the Manchester circuit in crisis? [36 mins 25 secs]
Manchester Comedy scene…
- Being well known in Manchester. How is it going out to other cities? Does your rep carry?
- Can you make a living from gigging in Manchester?
- Does doing political comedy hold you back / have an impact on where you can or can’t gig?
Dr Who / podcasting…
- Why he started podcasting? [50 mins]
- How his Doc Who show at the Edinburgh Fringe changed his life. [56 mins 20 secs]
- What are the best books on comedy, writing, stand up etc you’ve read? [1 hour 0 mins 16 secs]
- Best show you’ve ever seen?
- A lot of comedians call themselves comedians but they make more money from voiceover work or writing that live performing, so they’d self identify as a comedian but their income would define them another way, how close is your self identity to your actual income identity? [45 mins 30 secs]
- What’s the biggest mistake you’ve ever made and how did you get over it? [1 hour 0 mins 16 secs]
- What are the common misconceptions people have about what you do? [1 hour 1 min 22 secs]
- What is the most interesting thing you do that nobody else ever seens?
- Who do you think is the most underrated person in your industry? [1 hour 0 mins 16 secs]
- When you look back over your career, what memory makes you most happy?
- What do you think is the biggest problem in the comedy industry and how would you go about solving it? [1 hour 3mins 10 secs]