Total run time: 1 hour 14 mins 35 secs.
Ways to listen to the show…
- Subscribe using iTunes here.
- Download the individual episode by right clicking this link and clicking “save link as”.
- You can also add the RSS feed to your podcast app of choice with the non-iTunes link you can find here.
- Stream the episode on Stitcher
Got a problem? Email me and I’ll try and solve it.
About The Boy…
Sam Wills is a New Zealand prop-comic residing in London. On stage he performs as The Boy with Tape on His Face. He’s been performing since 2001 starting in New Zealand working his way towards the Edinburgh Fringe.
If you enjoyed this you might also like…
- EP35 – Ben Walker – Behind the scenes of award-winning podcasts.
- EP 25 – Geoff Rowe – Founder of Dave’s Leicester Comedy Festival
- EP 05 – David Quantick (TV / radio writer for The Day Today, Brass Eye, Spitting Image & author)
Loving the show? Then consider giving us a donation to keep it going!
Give a one-off donation via PayPal!
Here’s a list of questions we covered…
- What iterations of “The Boy” were there? [1 min 38 secs]
- Why are you silent? [5 mins]
- How would you define “full time” when you first became a professional comedian? [10 mins 30 secs]
- Why tape? [11 mins 20 secs]
- Will you get to an age where you’re no longer “the boy” but “the man”? [12 mins 30 secs]
- Does anyone ever come to shows with tape on their face? [13 mins 30 secs]
- What is the value of your comedy uniform? [14 mins 12 secs]
- Do you get recognised when you’re not dressed as Tape Face? [15 mins 25 secs]
- Why having “fame” as your end goal is bad [16 mins 10 secs]
- How long did it take for you to start to find an audience and for people to “get” what you’re doing? [18 mins]
- How does street performing work? [23 mins]
- How did you get your first management? [27 mins]
- As a character can you switch off and think of it as a product and that you’re not a part of the act? [29 mins 45 secs]
- Where did management want to take you vs where did you want Tape Face to go? [32 mins 30 secs]
- How did you get on the Royal Variety Performance? [32 mins 30 secs]
- How do you write material for Tape Face? [33 mins 30 secs]
- How does he write a show for Tape Face? [35 mins 16 secs]
- How do you rehearse shows? [36 mins 47 secs]
- How to turn a marketing problem (not being able to describe his act) into an opportunity. [37 mins 55 secs]
- How has social media helped / hurt your career? [39 mins 12 secs]
- How he uses “joke structures” the same way comedians do without talking. [41 mins 33 secs]
- How his marketing is growing up with The Boy [44 mins]
- How he uses social media to make his character have a personality online and why he keeps two accounts [44 mins 50 secs]
- What lessons has he learned from his adventures in social media. [48 mins 15 secs]
- How do you tell people about your social media accounts when you’re not able to talk on stage? [51 mins 45 secs]
- How to get repeat audiences and attracting people to come see you more than once. [53 mins 50 secs]
- Are the Australian festivals worth doing for acts who have little to no profile out there? [57 mins 12 secs]
- Would you have got as far as you have done without management? [1 hour 0 mins 30 secs]
- Do you work for your management or do you work as a team? [1 hour 0 mins 30 secs]
- What advice would you give to an act who is doing something which isn’t traditionally mainstream but you believe is funny? [1 hour 11 mins 25 secs]
- Favourite comedians [30 mins 20 secs]
- Best shows he’s ever seen [1 hour 8 mins 30 secs]
- Titus Andronicus
- Siren – Lilly Lascara.
- Book recommendations [1 hour 9 mins 40 secs]