Total run time: 1 hour 28 mins 57 secs.
Ways to listen to the show…
- Subscribe using iTunes here.
- Download the individual episode by right clicking this link and clicking “save link as”.
- You can also add the RSS feed to your podcast app of choice with the non-iTunes link you can find here.
- Stream the episode on Stitcher
- Or you can watch / stream it on YouTube here.
Got a problem? Email me and I’ll try and solve it.
About Simon Abrahams…
Simon Abrahams (@simonjabrahams) is the Creative Director & CEO at the Melbourne Fringe. Having worked with performers his whole professional career he now runs a large comedy festival in Australia which is used for a lot of different types of performers to try out more experimental and work-in-progress shows.
If you enjoyed this you might also like…
- EP 62 – Post Edinburgh Fringe 2016 Panel
- EP33 – Zena Barrie and Michelle Flower from the Camden Fringe
- EP 17 – Neil Mackinnon – Edinburgh Fringe Head of External Affairs
Loving the show? Then consider giving us a donation to keep it going!
Give a one-off donation via PayPal!
Here’s a list of questions we covered…
- Who is Simon and what is the Fringe and what is his role in the festival? [0 mins 0 secs]
- What kind of audiences do you get at the Fringe? [5 mins]
- Do they prefer finished shows, WIP, selection bills etc? [7 mins]
- What’s the relationship between the Melbourne Fringe and the other Australian festivals? [8 mins 06 secs]
- Is there a reason why the festival is in September? Better weather? Fitting around the other Oz festivals? Etc [9 mins]
- Where does your festival fit into the Australian festival scene? [10 mins]
- What’s there relationship with UK festivals like the Brighton Fringe? [12 mins 26secs]
- Do you have a Free Fringe model? [13 mins 02 secs]
- I saw an article that said you saw a 39% increase in ticket sales this year, does that mean you’re encouraging more shows, more audience or more people from other places to visit? [14 mins 24 secs]
- How do people discover new shows?[17 mins 07 secs]
- How do you help performers to find venues? [18 mins 50 secs]
- How does pricing work? [21 mins 13 secs]
- How does their sponsorship work with Bank of Australia? [26 mins 56 secs]
- What are their relationships like with TV /radio in the local area? [33 mins 37 secs]
- What is their stance on stunts? [42 mins 40 secs]
- What made you pick the Bank of Australia as a sponsor?
- What does the sponsor deal mean for performers?
- How many awards are there? How are they judged? [30 mins 05 secs]
Outside of the Fringe…
- What’s the comedy scene like outside of the Fringe time? [32 mins 15 secs]
- What are the most underused features / functions you use provide for acts? [46 mins 08 secs]
- Best show you’ve ever see? [50 mins 53 secs]
- Smile off your face
- Doc Brown Clown
- Who do you think is the most underrated person in the industry? [51 mins 56 secs]
- Sammy J and Randi musical comedy
- Biggest mistake you’ve ever made and how did you overcome it?? [53 mins 01 secs]
- Most interesting thing you do nobody gets to see? [55 min 38 secs]
- Best bit of advice you’ve been given? [57 mins 05 secs]
- If you could give 1 bit of advice to someone wanting to take part in the Melbourne Fringe for the first time? [58 mins 11 secs]