Total run time: 1 hour 30 mins 51 secs.
Ways to listen to the show…
- Subscribe using iTunes here.
- Download the individual episode by right clicking this link and clicking “save link as”.
- You can also add the RSS feed to your podcast app of choice with the non-iTunes link you can find here.
- Stream the episode on Stitcher
- Or you can watch / stream it on YouTube here.
Got a problem? Email me and I’ll try and solve it. 🙂
About this episode…
John Robertson (@Robbotron) is a comedian, writer and video game creator. We talked about what it was like starting out in Australia and moving to the UK. Touched on his early brushes with comedy competitions including Australia Got Talent where he faked a seizure. His live-action comedy video game The Dark Room started life as a YouTube video, then became a sleeper hit at the Edinburgh Fringe and is now a real video game for sale on Steam. We talked about moving the idea into different mediums, developing his persona and style as well as continuing to develop stand up shows while touring a video game.
If you enjoyed this you might also like…
Loving the show? Then consider giving us a donation to keep it going!
Before the Dark Room…
- What was the Perth comedy circuit like when he started? [0 mins]
- Advice on getting paid gigs [10 mins]
- How long did it take him to get good? [12 mins]
The Dark Room…
- Started out as YouTube Game that went viral in 2012. What was viral, what was your career like at that time? Had you done it live? [27 mins]
- How long was it uploaded for before it went viral?
- The backstory of the Dark Room. [29 mins]
- Why he couldn’t monetize it. [33 mins]
- How technology and people’s habits changing have helped and hurt the Dark and White Room? [36 mins]
- Tips on going viral. [41 mins]
- It took 10 years (2012) to bring it to the Edinburgh Fringe, was that how long it took for you to transfer it?
- Were you ever worried about it not being classed as “comedy” as a lot of awards are geared towards straight stand up.
- When did you know that it was a cult hit? [34 mins]
- How did you transfer the YouTube series to stage? [41 mins]
- How he build his comedy uniform for the Dark Room. [49 mins]
- How effective is Edinburgh marketing? [1 hour 2 mins]
- Why did you make the game? [1 hour 10 mins]
- What’s the biggest mistake you’ve ever made and how did you get over it? [1 hour 20 mins]