Total run time: 1 hour 39 mins 36 secs.
Ways to listen to the show…
- Subscribe using iTunes here.
- Download the individual episode by right clicking this link and clicking “save link as”.
- You can also add the RSS feed to your podcast app of choice with the non-iTunes link you can find here.
- Stream the episode on Stitcher
Got a problem? Email me and I’ll try and solve it.
About Henry Normal…
Described in the Telegraph as “the funniest man you’ve never heard of” Henry Normal is an award winning comedian, TV producer, poet and writer. He set up Baby Cow Productions with Steve Coogan and has toured with Pulp. He starred in Packet of Three, and co-write The Royal Family and the Parole Officer. He’s done it all.
If you enjoyed this you might also like…
- EP 05 – David Quantick (TV / radio writer for The Day Today, Brass Eye, Spitting Image & author)
- EP 20 – Joe Lycett – How to get the right agent, promote a show and which comedy competitions are worth entering.
- EP40 – Iain Coyle – Comedy Commissioner at Dave / UKTV
|EP51 – Sam Brady – How to organise your own successful tour with no management, PR or TV credits.|
Loving the show? Then consider giving us a donation to keep it going!
Give a one-off donation via PayPal!
Here’s a list of questions we covered…
Coming soon [sorry about the delay on these]…
- What is a podcast? [0 mins 0 secs]
- Why did you pick a stage name? [7 mins]
- Phil Jupitus. Porky the Poet
- Stewart Lee. Ted Chippington
- What was it like opening for bands? [13 mins 30 secs]
- How long did it take you to get your first paid gig? [19 mins 25 secs]
- His aversion to social media and why he isn’t on anything. [27 mins 25 secs]
- How long was his on the open mic poetry circuit before he got to leave his day job? [28 mins 30 secs]
- How long were you a poet before you moved into comedy writing / TV? [30 mins 30 secs]
- What creative control did he get on TV shows (pre-Baby Cow)? [33 mins 30 secs]
- How hard was the first TV show he ever worked on? [0 mins 0 secs – file 002]
- What are the biggest milestones in his career?[4 mins 52 secs]
- Milestones in writing. [5 mins 36 secs]
- Why he thinks he became a creative and how the death of his mum affected him. [7 mins 15 secs]
- “The funniest man you’ve never heard of” [8 mins]
- Did you decide to not become a household name? [ 9 mins 22 secs]
- How did the Parole Office get made? [17 mins 45 secs]
- How did he stay out of the red? [19 mins]
- Why did you set up Baby Cow? [22 mins 41 secs]
- How do you deal with unsolicited scripts? [24 mins 30 secs]
- His thoughts on the expansion of awards and if it has diluted their value. [32 mins 20 secs]
- Scripts / are you looking for writers or ideas? [34 mins]
- Monetizing online content vs traditional media.[36 mins 40 secs]
- We are the Jones Sitcom
- The scale of pay for TV, Radio and online content. [39 mins 40 secs]
- How do you pick which writing projects to work on? [43 mins 30 secs]
- The sale of Baby Cow to the BBC [46 mins 25 sec]
- Biggest industry problem and how would you solve it? [50 mins]
- Biggest mistake you’ve ever made? [51 mins 08 secs]
- Thing nobody gets to see.[51 mins 35 secs]
- Underrated people in the industry? [52 mins]
- Best bit of advice you’ve been given [53 mins 30 secs]