Total run time: 1 hour 22 mins 03 secs.
Ways to listen to the show…
- Subscribe using iTunes here.
- Download the individual episode by right clicking this link and clicking “save link as”.
- You can also add the RSS feed to your podcast app of choice with the non-iTunes link you can find here.
- Stream the episode on Stitcher
- Or you can watch / stream it on YouTube here.
Got a problem? Email me and I’ll try and solve it. 🙂
About Helen Stead…
Helen Stead (@helenls) is the director of NCF Comedy (@NCFComedy) which started back in 2009 at the Nottingham Comedy Festival. Since then NCF has grown and had 8 successful comedy festivals and runs shows in Nottingham, Birmingham, Leicester and throughout the midlands all year long.
If you enjoyed this you might also like…
Loving the show? Then consider giving us a donation to keep it going!
- Why did you start NCF? [0 mins]
- What is different about NCF? [1 mins]
- Is the midlands circuit in crisis? [7 mins]
- How are diversity quotas impacting your job? [13 mins]
- Should you chase if you’ve not heard back for a gig applications? [15 mins]
- What is the ladder of progression in NCF? [18mins]
- When people apply for your gigs, what are the biggest mistakes they do that puts you off booking them?
- What are you relationships like with with other clubs in Nottingham like Glee and Jongleurs? [20 mins]
- Do you see them as competition or do you all help each other etc?
- How many gigs do you run?
- Do you think there’s too many clubs in the midlands?
- You do a £1 comedy open mic. Most open mic in London do not charge, is there a reason why you do? Have you ever been free? [3 mins]
- The differences in the areas they operate. [5 mins]
- Often comedy is seen as a male environment, what are you doing and what do you know is happening in the midlands to help bring through people of other genders and races? [5 mins]
Nottingham Comedy Festival…
- Where does Nottingham Comedy Festival fit into the national festival circuit? [27 mins]
- What is it good for ? (WIP shows / Edinburgh previews / show touring etc)
- What do you look for in terms of shows / acts?
- Are there any types of acts you don’t take on?
- Why does it take place in November? [27 mins]
- It’s been going since 2009. What has changed in Nottingham and at the festival in the last 7 years? [31 mins]
- What is your relationship like with other local nearby festivals like the Derby Fringe? [31 mins]
- Do you use those to scout for acts? [32 mins]
- I know you’ve run shows at Leicester and Derby were these to scout for acts?
- Do you scout for acts or is it all acts applying? [30 mins]
- What are the mistakes people make promoting shows? [39 mins]
- What are the best books on comedy, writing, stand up etc you’ve read? [51 mins]
- Best show you’ve ever seen? [51 mins]
- What are the common misconceptions people have about what you do? [51 mins]
- What do you think is the biggest problem in the comedy industry and how would you go about solving it? [56 mins]
- Best bit of advice you would give a comedian who wants to make a career in comedy? [49 mins]