Total run time: 1 hour 08 mins 58 secs.
Ways to listen to the show…
- Subscribe using iTunes here.
- Download the individual episode by right clicking this link and clicking “save link as”.
- You can also add the RSS feed to your podcast app of choice with the non-iTunes link you can find here.
- Stream the episode on Stitcher
Got a problem? Email me and I’ll try and solve it.
About Earl Okin…
Earl Okin (@EarlOkin) is a London singer-songwriter, musician and comedian. He’s been performing music and musical comedy for over 40 years and knows the entire scene inside out. He also knows why things on the circuit and in Edinburgh have evolved the way they have. We talked about that and his biggest regrets along along with the biggest lessons he’s learned. You can find Earl on his website or listen to him on his podcast.
If you enjoyed this you might also like…
- EP46 – Daniel Sloss – What is it like being a full time comedian as a teenager?
- EP41 – The Boy With Tape On His Face (aka Sam Wills)
- EP 29 – Oliver Double – Comedy Lecturer, Author of Getting The Joke and Canterbury Legend on the past (and future) of comedy
|Previous Podcast||Next Podcast|
|EP52 – Henry Normal – Cofounder of Baby Cow Productions||EP54 – Karen Koren – Founder of the Gilded Balloon|
Loving the show? Then consider giving us a donation to keep it going!
Give a one-off donation via PayPal!
Here’s a list of questions we covered…
- How would he describe his act? [0 mins 0 secs]
- How he progressed as an alternative act. [10 mins 20 secs]
- How the comedy circuit became the way it is now. [12 mins 42 secs]
- Why he hates some clubs.
- Why he prefers folk clubs?
- Which clubs won’t book him because he’s a musical comedian [1 hour 8 mins 35 secs]
- How many gigs do you do a year? [1 hour 0 mins 55 secs]
- Do you think there’s a reason why people book less musical comedy acts?
- Is it a business reasons? A demand reason? Personal preferences?
- Why musical comedians get booked in less places
- Do you think your career would have been easier now?
- Finding an audience online?
- Are you frustrated that the people you started with are more famous than you?
- How has the circuit changed in the last 25 years in terms of variety?
- Do you think these changes are better / worse for performers?
- Have you ever been frustrated that people you started with are more famous / sucessful than you? [1 hour 10 mins 55 secs]
- Could you do a club set without any music? [1 hour 13 mins 22 secs]
- How often do you release music? [1 hour 20 mins 00 secs]
- The “old Edinburgh Fringe” and how and why it changed, [31 mins 30 secs]
- How it has changed. [59 mins]
- How the Edinburgh Fringe died as a Fringe Festival [37 mins]
- Best show you’ve ever seen? [1 hour 32 sec]
- What’s the biggest mistake you’ve ever made and how did you get over it? [1 hour 36 mins 20 secs]
- Who do you think is the most underrated person in your industry? [1 hour 37 mins 15 secs]
- What do you think is the biggest problem in the comedy industry and how would you go about solving it? [ 1 hour 40 mins 10 secs]
- Best bit of advice you’ve ever been given? [1 hour 45 sec 25 sec]
- Best bit of advice you would give a comedian who wants to make a career in comedy? [1 hour 45 sec 25 sec]