Total run time: 1 hour 27 mins 35 secs.
Ways to listen to the show…
- Subscribe using iTunes here.
- Download the individual episode by right clicking this link and clicking “save link as”.
- You can also add the RSS feed to your podcast app of choice with the non-iTunes link you can find here.
- Stream the episode on Stitcher
Got a problem? Email me and I’ll try and solve it. 🙂
About the Ben Walker…
Ben Walker (@_Ben_Walker) is the founder of Fuzz Productions who have created Sony Award-winning ‘Do The Right Thing’, the Loaded LAFTA-winning ‘Pappy’s Flatshare Slamdown’ and the Chortle Award-winning ‘Richard Herring: As It Occurs To Me’. We also make Richard Herring’s other podcast ‘Richard Herring’s Leicester Square Theatre Podcast’. They also produce video content for YouTube and BBC online.
If you enjoyed this you might also like…
- EP 16 – Liz Miele – How to go viral and build an online fan base.
- EP 10 – Luisa Omielan – the story behind the sleeper-hit show “What Would Beyonce Do”.
- EP 06 – Bruce Dessau – reviewer at the London Evening Standard & Founder of BeyondTheJoke.co.uk
Loving the show? Then consider giving us a donation to keep it going!
Give a one-off donation via PayPal!
Here’s a list of questions we covered…
What makes an award-winning podcast?
- How did you get started in podcasting? What were you doing before? [1 mins 46 secs]
- What does a producer actually do? [5 mins 16 secs]
- What’s the ideal length of a podcast? [11 mins 46 secs]
- Does a consistent format help with audience building? [21 mins 56 secs]
- How does the awards work? A lot of them are votes based, so the more dedicated the audience the better? [1 hour 15 mins 26 secs]
- What kit do you need to start a podcast? [1 hour 16 mins 26 secs]
- How does Fuzz Productions decide what shows to produce and how does it make money?
- A lot of my friends who produce podcasts do it solo, so don’t know what the different job roles are. What exactly does a producer do? [1 mins 46 secs]
Building an audience for a podcast…
- How much sway does reviews / downloads / images have on the iTunes chart? [1 hour 3 min 37 secs]
- Realistically what size audience should people expect? (user submitted, it will depend on content, but how do you manage your expectations on audience / listener numbers?) [56 mins 14 secs]
- How have you found sharing video version of the show has help more people discover RHLSP?
- Social media value – connecting with the audience through social media? Does it help? Have you made any mistakes along the way?
Sponsorship / money for podcaasts…
- How much of a following do you need before asking for donations to keep free podcasts running? [34 mins 27 secs]
- What are the best ways of making money from podcasting?
- Do you think adverts are a good thing or get in the way?
- Crowdfunding podcasts?
- Patreon is the latest way of getting sponsorship for a free content show, what do you think of this? What are the pros / cons of it vs the £1 badges which Go Faster offer? [34 mins 27 secs]
- Most of my friends who do podcasts don’t expect to ever make a profit on their show but do it because they love it and get “additional opportunities” for doing it. What’s the best thing which has come from your podcasting? [1 hour 9 mins 27 secs]
- Does uploading podcasts to YouTube help with discovery? [41 mins 47 secs]
the future of online distribution vs classic / traditional content (eg tv / radio).
- When I spoke to David Quantick [Podcast] he spoke about how the radio was quicker to produce than TV, but I know that podcasts can be even quicker because the internet has removed all barriers to distribution. How do you see the future of online content? [27 mins 47 secs]
- Hosting – soundcloud – what advice do you have for someone looking at starting a podcast? [1 hour 8 mins 27 secs]
- What mistakes have you made which you would want others to avoid when developing their own online content? [1 hour 26 mins 27 secs]
- The DIY mentality of making your own show for the hell of it is great, do you think there’s too much content online?