Total run time: 1 hour 21 mins 44 secs.
Ways to listen to the show…
- Subscribe using iTunes here.
- Download the individual episode by right-clicking this link and clicking “save link as”.
- You can also add the RSS feed to your podcast app of choice with the non-iTunes link you can find here.
- Stream the episode on Stitcher
- Or you can watch / stream it on YouTube here.
Got a problem? Email me and I’ll try and solve it. 🙂
About this episode…
Loving the show? Then consider giving us a donation to keep it going!
- Who are you? [0 mins]
- How do you scout for talent? [1 min]
- How important are awards to you? [5 mins]
- What are the roles involved in cruise ship talent? [6 mins]
- What does it take? [10 mins]
- Do specific ships look for specific acts? [11 mins]
- Is the cruise ship market expanding?
- How do you deal with comedians who bomb on ships? [13 mins]
- How do you support the mental health of those comedians?
- Is it true that there’s been a comedian who bombed so hard they were airlifted off?
- Why cruise ships?
- Are they booked for every night the same show or are they booked for 5 nights out of 7 etc. [15 mins]
- How many shows do they do? Are they at random times of the day or night time etc
- How much material does a comedian need to do a cruise, just an hour every time or do they have a high burn rate?
- What do you scout for first… an act or a ship because there’s a real chicken or egg situation. [13 mins]
- How do comedians try out for spots on ships? [17 mins]
- How much notice do you give an act for a cruise?
- Is there a schedule like gigging on land or is it sporadic?
- How has the industry changed in the last 30 years?
- Has political correctness impacted comedians on ships?
- Do cruise acts tend to do just cruises or clubs as well?
- Does the comedian get any down time or is it like Edinburgh where you are always on? [22 mins]
- Do the ships have a comedy club or a general theatre?
- How do line ups work? Are comedians booked for a headline / opening / middle slot or their whole show?
- Do you read trip adviser reviews / social media reviews of acts and does this impact if you’ll rebook an act?
- Is there a low number that you don’t run the show for? Given it’s included in the price of the cruise for the punted and they can come / leave as they want.