Total run time: 1 hour 28 mins 57 secs.
Ways to listen to the show…
- Subscribe using iTunes here.
- Download the individual episode by right clicking this link and clicking “save link as”.
- You can also add the RSS feed to your podcast app of choice with the non-iTunes link you can find here.
- Stream the episode on Stitcher
- Or you can watch / stream it on YouTube here.
Got a problem? Email me and I’ll try and solve it.
About Barry Ferns and Pearce…
Barry Ferns (@barryferns) started Angel Comedy (@angelcomedy) 6 years ago in 2010 as an open mic night to give himself more stagetime. Since then it has expanded and now runs comedy shows 7 nights a week. More recently the core team and their volunteer army have crowdfunded to lease their very own venue, just down the road from the original. They raised £46,643 from 1049 in 30 days. I got on Barry and former comedian, now Angel booker / show manager / venue manager / everything Sarah Pearce to talk about how they did it and what we can learn from them. This interview blew me away and by the end we were talking philosophy and finding what you want to do in life, and always working towards that.
If you enjoyed this you might also like…
- EP 24 – Peter Walsingham – Downstairs at the Kings Head
- EP 18 – Jill Edwards – Comic Boom promoter and comedy tutor
- EP31 – Darrell Martin – Owner and founder of the Just The Tonic Comedy Club Chain
Loving the show? Then consider giving us a donation to keep it going!
Give a one-off donation via PayPal!
Here’s a list of questions we covered…
- How did it get started? [0 mins 0 secs]
- Lesson they’ve learned.
- Why are they free? And how does free make maey? [7mins]
- Why open a new venue? [10 mins 58 secs]
- Do you think Angel can help bridge the gap between the circuit and TV acts given the agendas at play? [13 mins]
- Can anyone ever be blacklisted? [33 mins]
- How did you build the community around Angel? [55 mins]
- You’re a comedian first and foremost but a lot of promoters dislike that they get called a promoter rather than a comedian. Does this bug you? [22 mins 38 secs]
- Why do you think the model works? [17 mins 30 secs]
- What would you say to a paid club who says free nights are ruining the circuit? [17 mins 30 secs]
- Do you think the change in economy and people having less money has helped? [20 mins 30secs]
- Have you ever lost gigs as a result of running a night? [33 mins]
- Favourite books? [53 mins]
- The most underrated person in the industry? [54 mins]
- The biggest problem in the comedy industry and how would you solve it? [56 mins]
- The biggest misconception about what you do? [1 hour 1 mins]
- One bit of advice for people wanting to start a comedy night. [1 hour 2 mins]