Total run time: 1 hour 16 mins 38 secs.
Ways to listen to the show…
- Subscribe using iTunes here.
- Download the individual episode by right clicking this link and clicking “save link as”.
- You can also add the RSS feed to your podcast app of choice with the non-iTunes link you can find here.
- Stream the episode on Stitcher
Got a problem? Email me and I’ll try and solve it.
About the Ally Wilson…
She first appeared on the podcast in the Live Q&A panel on touring at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in 2015 which you can find here.
If you enjoyed this you might also like…
- EP 36 – Sara Cywinski – How to get your comedy / humour book noticed, sold and published by eBury Random House.
- EP 05 – David Quantick (TV / radio writer for The Day Today, Brass Eye, Spitting Image & author)
- EP32 – Live Touring Q&A Panel – Recorded at the Edinburgh Festival 2015
|Previous Podcast||Next Podcast|
|EP46 – Daniel Sloss – What is it like being a full time comedian as a teenager?||EP48 – David Mulholland – Big Cheese at the Soho Comedy Club|
Loving the show? Then consider giving us a donation to keep it going!
Give a one-off donation via PayPal!
Here’s a list of questions we covered…
- For people who do not know, what exact does and doesn’t a tour manager do? [3 mins 12 secs]
- What exactly makes a “good show”? [5 mins 50 secs]
- When you’re looking for shows are you looking by thinking “I need to find something that works in this venue” or are you just looking for good shows? [6 mins 55 secs]
- At what point in the life cycle of a show should a performer look for a tour manager? [7 mins 53 secs]
- What should someone send in to catch your eye? [9 mins 23 secs]
- How often are you looking for new acts? [10 mins 40 secs]
- Are competitions worth doing? What is the industry’s opinion of them? [12 mins 33 secs]
- The value of social media engagement vs numbers [15 mins 05 secs]
- Are competitions filtering out some acts who struggle with 5 spots or aren’t snappy enough for gong shows? [15 mins 40 secs]
- What sells a tour? Awards? Quotes? Credits? [17 mins 01 secs]
- How much do you factor in a performer’s social media profiles when thinking about signing them for a tour? [18 mins 30 secs]
- How would someone find a touring manager which suits their show? [29 mins 10 secs]
- A lot of smaller festivals have sprung up all over the country… are these better because the audience is more targeted and less saturated or do you think they’ll become more saturated because of the festival bringing in more comedy? [21 mins 07 secs]
- Biggest mistakes you see indie comedians making when planning a tour? [40 mins]
- How would an act know if industry were talking about them in the early stages of them making waves? [47 mins 56 secs]
- How would you promote an act what wouldn’t work on TV? [58 mins 20 secs]
- The Blanks
- Arseraptor YouTube
- What is the The Guinea pig club and how hard is it to promote a weekly night? [0 mins 0 secs]
- Is it possible for an act to push their way through into clubs without management? [23 mins 30 secs]
- How do you help an act discover which rooms they will work best in? [27 mins 12 secs]
- When you become a touring act, do you have to run by any gigs you want to past you? How does open spots work? [46 mins 41 secs]
- Open spots are getting asked 3 or 4 times a year to audition for Britain’s Got Talent by various industry people. Good exposure or career suicide? [51 mins 30 secs]
- Will quality always rise to the top or are there too many acts which means some are getting overlooked? [52 mins]
- Do you whitelist/blacklist clubs /venues based on an act’s feedback? [46 mins 06 secs]
- Thoughts on the comedy guild. [46 mins 06 secs]
- So you’ve been publicly shamed.
- How have you found the London circuit has changed in the last 10 years? [55 mins 20 secs]
- How do you view Edinburgh? A springboard? The start of a tour? An opportunity to road test shows? All of the above? [33 mins 18 secs]
- How far ahead do you plan post-Edinburgh tours for shows? [37 mins]
- How do you create good aims / targets for Edinburgh? [38 mins 38 secs]
- What are your thoughts on stunts? [42 mins]
- Free vs paid? [53 mins]
- What’s the thing that you enjoy most about your job that nobody else gets to see? [1 hour 8 mins]
- Best bit of advice you have for people who want to tour a show? [1 hour 9 mins]