Total run time: 1 hour 18 mins 59 secs.
Ways to listen to the show…
- Subscribe using iTunes here.
- Download the individual episode by right clicking this link and clicking “save link as”.
- You can also add the RSS feed to your podcast app of choice with the non-iTunes link you can find here.
- Stream the episode on Stitcher
- Or you can watch / stream it on YouTube here.
Got a problem? Email me and I’ll try and solve it. 🙂
About Aditi Mittal…
Aditi Mittal (@awryaditi) is an Indian stand-up comedian, actress and writer and one of the first women to do stand-up comedy in India, Aditi has been rated amongst India’s top 10 stand-up comedians by The Times of India.
If you enjoyed this you might also like…
Loving the show? Then consider giving us a donation to keep it going!
Here’s a list of questions we covered…
Stand up comedy…
- First comedians in Indian. Is there still very few women in India? [0 mins 0 secs]
- How does it compare in now vs when you started? [5 mins 50 secs]
- The history of the comedy scene in India. [6 mins 50 secs]
- Is stand up a boys club in Indian? Is there misogyny in the audiences / from other acts? [22 mins]
- Being booked as the “token woman” on a bill. [36 mins]
- The work she gains and loses by being a woman. [36 mins 30 secs]
- What she got from being on BBC Asian Network Aisan Netowrk. [38 mins 16 secs]
- How many clubs are there in India? [48 mins]
- How having an agent has impacted her career? [1 hour]
The history of stand up in India…
- Why did English stand up come over? [9 mins 20 secs]
- The role class plays in being a performer in India. [11 mins]
- With so few performers, how strong is the sense of community on the professional Indian scene? [12 mins 49 secs]
- How does tailoring your jokes city by city or in different languages work? [14 mins 25 secs]
- What’s the gender split on the circuit? [15 mins 28 secs]
- How have you found building an audience on social media? [ 19 mins]
- Moving from online to offline and the problems that has proven. [20 mins]
- How did she build an audience? [50 mins]
- What are the best books on comedy, writing, stand up etc you’ve read? [1 hour 8 mins]
- Born Standing up – Steve Martin
- What’s the biggest mistake you’ve ever made and how did you get over it? [1 hour 8 mins]
- What are the common misconceptions people have about what you do? [1 hour 8 mins]
- Best bit of advice you’ve ever been given? [ 1 hour 12 mins]
- Best bit of advice you would give a comedian who wants to make a career in comedy? [ 1 hour 12 mins]